Friday, August 22, 2008

Things you shouldn't do. . .


Unless you are purposefully wanting to give someone a heart attack!!


Last night I get done with softball around 9 and stayed for a few beverages afterwards. . . and as I was leaving around 9:45 my aunt calls me. My Gramps hasn't been doing well recently so having my aunt call me at a rather odd hour made my heart stop. And then her cell phone cut out. And I started hyperventilating. She then calls me back on her home phone. She was just calling to verify all the information with regards to my Grandpa's surgery. When is it? What's all going to be done? Did the doctor say anything else that Grandpa is leaving out??


You see. . . I am the only one Gramps tells his FULL medical problems too. I was going to be a doctor but seeing as I only play one on TV now, he still tells me everything. Occasionally, I will "diagnosis" him half-way and say "Go to the doctor. You might have this. You need stuff to treat it." Then he'll tell me had I gone to Med School like I was originally going to do, he wouldn't have to worry about such things, and then he goes to his doctor and tells her what I said he might have and how he wouldn't have to go to her had I actually become a doctor. The scary part is that I've been pretty accurate with his diagnoses. So since I realized Gramps only tells me the rest of the story so to speak, when he's doing bad, I'll call my aunt and tell her so someone will go and keep an eye on him just in case. If Gramps wasn't so stubborn, I wouldn't have to worry about such things. . .but alas, he's a VERY stubborn 83-year-old and needs to be kept in check!


_________________________________________


Yesterday my nephew had his first day of pre-school. So me, being the favorite aunt and by far one of his most favorite people in all the world, called him to see how his first day was. I left a message on their answering machine. I missed his return call that went something like this: "A!! A!!! (my sister in the background then says "It's her voicemail, ask her to call you back) CALL ME BACK!!" click!


So after some phone tag, he calls me back and says "I went to school today." And I said "I know! I'm sooo proud of you!! What did you do??" And he says "I learned a lot and I played on the playground. I went on the white slide." And I asked "Was it a straight slide or a curvy one?" and he said "STRAIGHT!" and I asked "Was it fast?" and he says "Not really. Bye. I'm done talking now."


My sister then gets on the phone and I say "It hurts sometimes. When he just gets off the phone like that." She then tells me how he had to listen to my message 4 times and after everytime I said his name, he yelled "A! A!" and then asked her to repeat the message. So finally my sister said "Why don't you just call her and talk to her?" So he did. . .and then gets off the phone in 2.5 seconds. I can't win. Even with my nephew! :)



Here's a picture from our vacation. It just shows what a little stinker he his!

No comments: