Monday, June 29, 2009

Things I do because apparently I am the BESTEST friend ever. . .

Usually Sundays are my day to sleep in. And by sleep in, the latest I ever let myself sleep is like 10-10:30, but that's sleeping in by my standards. I'm usually always up at 8am on Saturdays to go to my Gramps. And this Saturday I will be playing in a mud volleyball tournament at 8am.

However, yesterday morning I got up at 5am. That's 5am. . . before the sun comes up. . . to watch some of my good friends participate in the HyVee Triathlon. Anna kept reminding me she was picking me up at 5:45am. And yes, I am crazy. My friend Jamie went with us too and I told her I would make her a to go coffee mug and asked her how she took her coffee. And she said black. And I said "With Baileys?!?" To which she thought that was a great idea. Apparently in the morning I do not function and ended up with a slight cut on my finger from trying to open the mini-Bailey's bottle. So she got some coffee, Baileys, and perhaps a little iron from the blood that may or may not have gotten into it.

I was actually amazed at how many people I knew that were doing it. I only knew of 6 people off the bat, but instead I knew like 12+. . . so that was cool. My friend Jamie said "How many people do you know?!? Perhaps you should just start going with who you don't know doing this!" Especially because this guy ran and I did not insult him* this time. I only cheered him on.

My friend Emily did especially awesome. She did it in under 3 hours. A guy Adam who works in my building did it in 2 hours, 24 minutes. INSANE. My neighbor Joe and his friend Robb, did it in 3 hours, 15 minutes-ish. They were 6 minutes apart. Two other guys in my building did it in under 3 hours. I am soo proud of those people. Maybe I'll do a relay next year. . .maybe. . . My friends that did the relay portions did a great job too.

I was especially impressed with a woman who was like 80 something that did it. She was a good inspiration. All my friends had finished by the time she started the run even. But still AMAZING!!

Overall, I guess it was good to see them, not so good to be up so effing early on a Sunday. But I did lay out for an hour and took a nap and then went inside and slept for another hour. Yes, I was tired!!

*Awhile ago my cousin Mac went and was talking to one of her friends after a 10K race and Tim was standing with him. So he introduced them and Mac asked him how he ran and then proceeded to say "Really?!? You look like a pretty athletic guy and ran pretty slow!!" She had actually ran faster than he did. She then went on and on giving him crap about how slow he ran. She had no idea who he was, until she got back to the table and our guy friends were like "Do you know WHO you were talking to!?!?" Of course, Mac can get away with this because she's very pretty. He also ran part of her 20-mile run with her a couple of Saturdays ago.

Then a couple of Fridays ago, I meet her out and Tim comes up and introduces himself to me. I am chatting around the table and he starts talking to me. Well his head is right below the College World Series, so I keep looking at the game while I'm talking to him. It was tied 2-2 bottom of the 7th, AZ State and Texas. Well he calls me out on this. I am super embarrassed and he informs me it's kind of hot that I keep ignoring him to watch the game. Then I start going on and on about how I could sit and watch college sports all day, especially basketball and football. But how I'm not really a pro fan. And the only NFL teams I'll watch are the Bears and sometimes the Packers. And really I only watched the Packers because of Brett Favre but I did watch them a few times this year and thought Aaron Rogers did a good job. Oh and how I thought that pro athletes are now only in for the money and how they have sort of lost the love of the game and just want the power and money now. Yeah. . . I am awesome. Way to insult a former NFLer.

2 comments:

Captain Crab said...

Excellent job!

JennyMac said...

TOO funny. Loved this story.