Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year and do you think AA is for quitters??

Last night when I went out to the Piano Bar, I got to thinking when I was drinking my rum and diet, that I need an intervention. Of probably the Alcoholic variety.

My friend and I got to talking and I said, "Man, I've drank a lot this week." I even drank on New Year's Day, which I usually don't do, but since the Hawkeyes were in the Outback Bowl I had to go to the bar with my friends at 9:30am and watch the game. Which I started out with a Bloody Mary from the lovely Bloody Mary bar the bar provided. Then my two guy friends decided to start getting pitchers. And where the late morning and early afternoon took a turn for the worst was when I realized my guy friends kept filling my beer up so it was never really empty. When we got the bill I realized, that I helped consume 5 pitchers of beer between 4 people and had a Blood Mary that was pretty much half vodka. So pretty much by 2pm I was beyond drunk. And passed out on my neighbors floor. I'm good like that. However, I wasn't as drunk as Dean was when he called me at 9pm, and as I was talking to him, told me he was having a hard time hearing me, and then realized he had his phone backwards. Yep. I can't make that up. His message he left me, even better.

The day/night before. . . I started drinking at 12:30 when I met my one friend for lunch, then met another friend right after that for shopping which we decided to stop for a beer first which turned into 3 because it was by 2 get one free. Then started drinking again at 7pm dinner. $3.50 Margaritas. BIG margaritas.

Long story, long. . . I drank every day starting on Christmas Eve. I usually like to go out on weekends and drink and sometimes during the week I'll have one or two. Or there is the rare occasion I get wasted during the week. But even this is a long streak for me. I mean, don't get me wrong, in college I think my streak was 21 days after my 21st birthday. But now that I am an adult and in the "real" world. I usually don't do the binges. I guess I'm not near as old as I thought! I guess in the summer, I do some little binges because of my sports, but not in the winter. Never the winter. . .

3 comments:

Captain Crab said...

I can see that you could use some advice, so here goes:

On AA:

I would rather be a well known drunk that an anonymous alcoholic.

The way to avoid being a "binge" drinker is to drink every day.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Drink during the day so you can get a good night's rest.

Martinis and women:

One at the most
Two puts you under the table
Three puts you under the host

I have a lot more, but let's take this slow.

Captain Crab said...

A few more:

If you receive three cocktail shakers for Christmas, you are a drunkard.

If you receive ten, get ready for an intervention.
_________________________________
Ironically enough, if you give your favorite bartender a bartending guide as a present he will not give you a free drink for at least a month.

Nor will your significant other appreciate a copy of “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Sex.”
_____________________________
And finally:

If you suspect your loved ones are going to spring a holiday intervention on you, make sure you pre-spike at least two cartons of eggnog.

Interventions can be pretty fun if you’re loaded.

Idea #527 said...

haha! I will definitely keep that in mind!