Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Best Friend's Wedding

minus of course Julia Roberts, Rupert Everett, and Dermot Mulroney. Oh and me telling Ryan that I am in love with him, he can't marry his girlfriend, and he must marry me instead hours before he is supposed to walk down the aisle.

As I mentioned before, Ryan and I never had that weird, awkward relationship. EVER. Which is wonderful sometimes. I always had a date to things with him that I greatly appreciated.

Well Ryan was absolutely 100% right that I would know 3 people for sure and kind of know 1 other person. But don't worry, I made friends.

At the wedding, Tim sat me by Joel's brother Jeremy, his Mom, his Dad, and his Grandma who by the way is awesome. Later Joel told me his grandma told him what a great girl I was. Yep. I'm well aware! Duh. After the wedding was done and we were waiting for the bride and groom, I went up to Jeremy and Tim, who were talking to these 2 girls and when I walked up the 1 girl was saying how she found out she would be drinking water tonight. I asked Jeremy if he wouldn't mind saving me a seat at the reception. Jeremy said sure and Tim informed me that since he was just an usher, he wasn't sitting with the bridal party and could sit by me. Then the 2 girls said that since I didn't know anyone, I could sit with them and their parents. I thanked them for their hospitality and said that perhaps I would take them up on it. Then I realized I had met the one girl Brooke before in college. And probably hadn't seen her in like 6 years.

I had an hour and a half to burn between the wedding and reception and no one to burn it with. I tried calling Jill, Sarah, Wyatt, and Jeremy and no one answered. And because I have this weird thing about sitting at the bar by myself when I'm not waiting on people, I decided to hang out at my favorite bookstore, Pages for All Ages. I miss that bookstore.

Anyway, so I went to the reception and Jeremy and his family weren't there yet, so I sort of wander and look around and see Brooke and her family, so I sit with them. And thank goodness her sister Courtney wanted to go grab another drink. I told her how I was going to get a drink but I didn't want to be that girl standing at the reception all by herself with no friends drinking heavily. I totally made her my new best friend with that comment.

Well Courtney and Brooke grew up with Ryan, Joel, and Tim so they were telling me all these stories about them growing up and I was telling them stories that used to happen in college. This would also be about the time I started putting my foot in my mouth. . . repeatedly. . . and only two captain and diets in. I get this from my Dad. He does it on a regular basis, except he isn't aware that he's even doing it.

Let the foot comments begin:
Number 1:
Me: I'm kind of mad at Ryan for not telling me his sister is pregnant.
Courtney and Brooke: Ryan's sister isn't pregnant.
Me: Oh. . . that's right! It's you that's pregnant right??
Brooke: Oh my God! How'd you hear that??
Me: I think I must have heard you tell Tim today and then got confused and thought it was Ryan's sister! Sorry!!
Save. Thank goodness for my listening and remembering skills. I am pretty chubby. And Ryan's sister used to be super skinny. And apparently she has gained a lot of weight since I saw her 4 years ago. And it's all in her hips and lower stomach. Where you would carry weight if you were say pregnant or just had a baby. And since she didn't have a baby with her, I thought the latter. Yep. I am THAT girl now.

Number 2:
Me: Ooooh wait. . . wasn't there a Brooke that Joel was in love with like forever??
Courtney: I KNEW IT!! Joel did carry a torch for you forever!!
Me: This is awkward.
Brooke: Yeah I dated Tim in high school for awhile and then Senior year I dated Joel briefly and it almost caused an end to their friendship. But they worked it out.
Me: And apparently never talked about it again. . .
Brooke: So Joel liked me for awhile in college??
Me: Well. . . I mean. . .uhh. . . yeah. . . sometimes we had to go out to where you were at. . . and he'd always be really excited for you to come to their parties. . .
Thank goodness they only knew of this one time that I put my foot in my mouth. . .

I really only had two instances where I really put my foot in my mouth. The remainder of the night, Courtney took on the task.

Jeremy came and sat at our table and then Tim did when the wedding party arrived. Well when Tim sat down, Courtney grabbed his hand and said "So Andrea just told us how Joel used to have this crush on Brooke. And this was right after Mom was telling her how you used to come over and cry and tell her how much you liked Brooke." Then Tim says "Awwwkward. Thank goodness Andrea isn't my wife. And Andrea, I never cried. Maybe wined." Then when Joel sits down later, I inform him of my snafu, and he tells me that he's glad I came. And told Brooke how he pined for her for years and good thing her husband wasn't there to punch him!

Courtney kept telling me how much I acted like their sister's friend Casey, so she kept calling me Casey all night. Which was pretty funny. And it was nice how instantly Courtney, Brooke, and I clicked that night. They were the old friends that had remained close and I was the kind of new. Since Courtney and Brooke live back where my parents do now, we're going to hang out, so that was nice.

Tim was talking to me about how Joel was his Best Man and how he choked on his speech and just ended up saying "I'm usually a man of many words, but now I only have few. Congrats Tim on your marriage!!" So then about 10 minutes later, Joel sits down next to me and starts telling me how he wrote Ryan's speech last night when he got back home from the bar at 3am and Tim overhears him and says "Well at least HE gets a speech!" But I pointed out to Tim how he isn't bitter and Tim says "Well at least I dated Brooke longer!" haha!!

Quotes that I remember that were hilarious. . . at the time:
Joel in his speech saying how he and Ryan and him done a lot together through the years and started naming all the things he couldn't forget and says "Suspect #3 ran on foot"

Jeremy (who's 6'6") says to Courtney when she asks if he's gotten taller says "It's the pin stripes. They make you look taller."

Jeremy while sitting at the table starts saying (and showing) how his socks that match both his pin striped shirt and slacks and how he has to get his shirts tailored because he's so tall and his waist is so small. . . then says "I sound like a woman. I'll quit. I'm scaring myself."

Tim reminding me that Ryan used to hook up with a lot of my friends. . . in front of Ryan's new wife.

Joel to me "Hey remember when you told Brooke that I used to pine after her for years?? Yeah, that was cool."

Tim saying "Why on earth do you always go for midgets?" after Jeremy got done dancing with a girl that was maybe 5 foot. I told him that was mean and Jeremy says "No, he's right. My last girlfriend was 4'8". I think I like them right at my crotch."

No comments: