Monday, July 7, 2008

Things I thought about as I drove 10 hours this weekend. . .

I decided on my drive out I wasn't going to think about the sad situation that has become my love life. Not going to do it. Really it will only make me more depressed as I drive and given the option, if down enough, I could easily run straight into other cars.

But I did contemplate this one thing on the drive out: Why is it that when you hang out with your weird friendship guy friend pretty much everyone else thinks that you shouldn't because you are "talking" to someone else? I couldn't figure this out and decided people suck and was going to do whatever I wanted anyway. :)

On my drive early this morning, I got to thinking about what classifies a One Hit Wonder. On Thursday night, we were talking about Corey Hart and how he was a One Hit Wonder and I said "No, no my friend. He had another hit besides I Wear My Sunglasses At Night. He also sang Never Surrender which is actually more of a personal favorite." And then some song came on as I drove that was technically a One Hit Wonder so it got me thinking: Which era had more One Hit Wonders--80s, 90s, or the 2000s?? And which genre produces more One Hit Wonders?

I was thinking probably the 80s but they had a lot of classics that I keep listening to. The 90s did produce some definite goodies but alot of those makeshift bands from the 90s had at least 2 hits and the ones that broke out of the boy bands into solo acts are around today. (Justin Timberlake--LOVE YOU!) And now in this decade, we seem to have these bands that produce a type of "pop" sound that comes and goes and you never really hear from them after their 15 minutes. The 80s and 90s did have all those hair bands but I really think even they had a rock song AND a ballad.

And some of the people from the 90s I really wish wouldn't have lasted past their one hit. Case in point: Britney Spears. My friend Jill loves her and even in Catch Phrase Thursday night said something about her being the best ever. I do realize that even I find myself singing to Britney's catchy tunes, but she can't sing. And it saddens me. I used to watch her on the MMC, although Tony Lucca and Kerri Russell were my favorite. She should be better than she is.

The genre I think probably produces the most One Hitters is Pop music with the factory sound that it has become. It is followed a close second by Country. I can't believe all the new country artists out there that just have one song I've never even heard of and not even sure I really like!

I can't now remember what else I thought about. haha! I think I thought about what I was going to eat for lunch and then just came straight into work without eating. I just didn't want to stop on the way. Oh well!

Happy Monday!

No comments: