Sunday, June 22, 2008

The tides of Summer. . . er. . . floods?!?

I had a witty and interesting thought about how I should write about the floods. It was going to be provacative and powerful. But then I realized I'm neither provacative nor that powerful of a writer.

I lived in another state during the Floods of '93. I never experienced the worry nor the devestation. However, now I've come close. . .to the worry at least.



This is what it looked like a block from my building the same day the levee broke in Cedar Rapids. Luckily for us, it was due to the heavy rain we just got.

The pictures that I see of Cedar Rapids astound me. I've been to the downtown quite frequently and it makes me sad to think of how it is now. My favorite coffee shop was completely underwater. Other stores and businesses were completely submerged in water. Houses were destroyed. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

I appreciate the calls to make sure I was okay. The closest I did become to being scared was on Friday when I was evacuated. I wasn't necessarily scared at first but then later when I got home and saw the news and saw that the river was supposed to crest about a foot and a half above the levees. Then I pictured a swimming pool overflowing on the river downtown. And that's when I was glad to be at home if anything did happen. But Thank God that nothing happened. Just say a few prayers for those that were affected. It's scary to think that all is lost for some people and others have everything.

No comments: