Thursday, May 5, 2011

You know you're old when. . .

Well. . . it happened.

I think I've officially become old. And so have my friends. I don't know when it happened. It just did. Apparently as you age, you don't spring back like you used to.

Case in point:

Tuesday night when my friend and I were playing in the monthly euchre tournament. He looks at me at one point, points to his watch and says "It's your bedtime." I laughed, and then realized, Holy Cow, I AM always in bed by 10pm! I may not be asleep yet, but I am in bed. We were one game away from being crowned Champions and were ousted at 11pm. The tournament has never really ever lasted past 10:30, let alone still one more game to play at 11pm! I think there were just some super slow players. I tried to make him feel better by texting him afterwards and telling him how I had to stop and get gas on the way home, and his text reply was "Nice try. I'm still way past my bedtime but I had fun with you!" Then I felt even worse as last night a group of us were getting together to play sand volleyball at 6:30pm, and he texted me at 9pm to tell me he just woke up from his cat nap he took after work. Ooops!!!

So then last night happens. I had to teach Pilates at 5, then was playing sand volleyball at 6:30pm, and then a random girl's night at 7:30pm. Harmless right??

Well Kathy decided since it was nice out we should walk instead of me making her do Pilates. I agreed. Then I went early to volleyball and did a pick up game with some people at 6. Then my friends get there, who I was meeting, and all decide that we should play 3s and 4s instead of 6s. I'm not sure if anyone realizes how much more energy it takes to play 4s. And for some reason I decided to try serving overhand to see if I could. And I was doing pretty good. I was impressed since I haven't played volleyball since October. I also did a "burpie" in the sand. A "burpie" or whatever else it may be called is when you jump straight up in the air, squat, then do a push up. In case you missed it. . . I did it in the SAND. Not what you would call a very secure place to fall down and not move on you. I apparently have also become more stupid in my old age. :)

Fast forward to the pub right after volleyball, where after sitting for an hour, I get up to use the loo and BAM. My quads feel like lead. So I do what any other normal person would do and take long steps with pauses to stretch them out. Completely normal and unattention getting. Also, at the current moment, I'm a little unsure if I'll be able to raise my arm to bat or catch anything at my softball game at 9 tonight.

At the pub (I use pub since it's a bar that serves really awesome English fare food), we for some reason were pretty quiet and tame for a Girl's night. We knew things were going downhill when we started talking Politics. GASP! Politics?? At Girl's Night? I mean, there really is something wrong. We were all pretty tired too but just didn't know why. Then it dawned on us: All other Girl's Nights are on Thursdays. We apparently are too tired on Wednesdays to be peppy and fun! I kept trying to dance to whatever music was on while I was in my chair to no avail.

What made it even more funny was that when Jarrod and Britt got there, Jarrod turned to Britt and said "Ummm. . . I'm not sure what happened, but they are usually a lot more entertaining than this!" haha! I think Britt was pretty bummed. I also find it cute that Britt and Jarrod had a bro-date because their ladies were out. However, Britt went to one theater while Jarrod was waiting for him at the other. Now, keep in mind, they discussed in email which one they were going to. . . and Britt went to the wrong one. We were laughing. Then we asked if they sat by each other because a lot of guys when going to a movie never sit by each other. . . and well. . . they didn't. There was totally a seat in between them.

This also reminds me of a hilarious story that my friend Larry tells about a co-worker. Larry is openly gay. Well, he and this co-worker make plans to go to dinner after work and then to see a movie. The co-worker, another male, says that he'll just meet Larry at the movie after they finish dinner. Well, when Larry gets there, he can't find his co-worker. He calls him and he says "Oh, yeah, I just went ahead and got my ticket. I'm in the theater." So Larry goes into the theater, grabs some popcorn, and finds his co-worker. Well half way through the movie, the co-worker says he has to use the restroom. Larry waits and waits and the co-worker never comes back. Then when the movie is over, Larry sees the co-worker like 3 rows ahead! He didn't even talk to him on the way out or apologize or anything. Hilarious. Maybe you have to have Larry retell the story, but trust me, it was funny! And having met the co-worker. . . even more hilarious.

Okay, back to me being old. Well when 10pm hits and I'm massively yawning, we disbanded. On Girl's Night! Usually with girl's night we say things like "We're going to take it easy tonight" or "Let's just have a few drinks" and the next thing you know it's 12am and you've done like 3 shots and really DO need to go home. We determined that we can't do Girl's Night on Wednesdays anymore since apparently "Hump Day" to us means we need to be in bed early and clearly no alcohol induced humping will be going on because of the crazy shenanigans we have gotten ourselves into.

Happy soon to be the Weekend! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't help but notice that your partner knew the time you went to bed usually. . .coincidence?!? ;)