Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Well it's not anyone that reads this blog. . . but my Gramps turned 84 today. I can't believe it. He told me last fall that he never expected to live past 40. He doubled that and THEN some! My Grandpa does get on the Internet and emails and whatnot, but I haven't really told him I have a blog or anything because it might lead to more questioning on how to use his computer. And by email I mean he forwards emails. He actually only writes emails when I'm there and type them for him. He will add on his emails "This is funny" and that's about it. He basically also sends me dirty jokes.

Also for my Gramps birthday I made him a cherry pie. I told him that I was going to make him an apple pie and he said he liked cherry better. So when I got home on Friday night, I made a cherry pie. I also bought him lunch on Saturday even though he told me I didn't have to. I'm such a good granddaughter!

My little cousin is in this commercial. Thanks PJ for finding it! However, most of you have probably seen it already since I emailed it. . . but for the other people. She's just soo cute!

It cracked me up this weekend because I told 2 separate people on 2 separate days that I am giving up on dating guys for the moment, and they both asked if I was switching teams. I guess at my age being single and saying that might need some clarification. Maybe I should just state "I'm giving up on dating right now to concentrate solely on myself."

I get to see Josie in less than two weeks now!! Can you tell I'm excited?!? Oh Kaci, I also get to see you too and am just as excited about that, you just aren't sick. . . well in that way anyway. . . ;)

I also realized after watching The Soup again this weekend that I love Joel McHale. I wish his comedy was coming here. I think he said he's going to be in Cleveland in March.

On Friday I received a crackberry from my boss. And while it was a super nice gesture and by nice I mean that way I didn't have to buy one, the blackberry he sent me didn't have a camera on it. Which I feel that I need a camera on my phone to record such things as traffic accidents or to take pictures of license plates of cars that might be dangerous. Oh and for pictures of cute guys I meet or drunken pics of my friends. . . So today I went online to Verizon to buy one, and I just so happened to get a great deal. I got the Blackberry Curve in Pink for a whopping $0.00. Yep. It's originally $169.99. I got it for FREE. I was up for an upgrade anyway, but still. AWESOME.

To close out my Monday, I have to share a story that Dan and I were talking about yesterday. Dan and I were talking about food expiration labels and I was saying that depending on some things, it's more of a sell by date. My mom is notorious for this and she has made me eat things that are questionable. Anyway, I bring this up again because Natalie just asked me if her yogurt that has a date of the 2/27 is still good. And I said yes. My normal yogurt says on it that it's good up to 5 days past the sell by date. Anyway, yesterday Dan tells me how one of his friends wives only goes by the sell by date. And he and his friend were trying to tell her that it's a sell by date and not a consume by date, and this isn't always especially true like with Milk. If it smells bad, it's bad and don't drink it. So Dan's friend realized the milk had gone bad one day and it wasn't even the sell by date yet, so he made his wife drink it. I almost died. Partially because I know them, secondly, that she did it just to stand by her story of expiration dates, and thirdly I accidentally drank curdled milk once and it made me vomit in my mouth a little just thinking about it.

My Mom's theory is that if it smells bad or funny, don't eat or drink it. Sometimes her nose and my nose differ. :)

And in case you were wondering. . . Usually milk is good 7 days past the sell by date. Just go by the smell. Eggs are good up to a month (or more) past their sell on date. After the month sell by date, cookies and cakes might not rise as much with those eggs. My mom also swears that if you haven't opened Mayo or salad dressing and it's past the sell on date, you can still use it until it starts smelling or changes color. Oh and you can always cook with spoiled milk, sour cream, and cottage cheese. And if it's moldy, don't eat it, unless it's cheese. I don't agree with this one but my mom says that since mold IS cheese, that it's perfectly safe. I guess blue cheese looks like mold, but if I see it on my cheddar, I toss it!

Again, you learn something new every day!!

Happy Monday!!

No comments: