Monday, October 20, 2008

I jumped in. . . and the water was cold. . .

So. . . I left a pretty cryptic message on doing something on Sunday.

Well. . . here it is. . .

My friend Dan made me sign up for online dating. And if you're asking yourself "MADE you?? Did he have a gun to your head?" Not exactly but he did sit right next to me and wouldn't say a word to me nor leave my place until I signed up. So I did. I mean my cousin met his awesome wife online. So I thought, "Why not?"

There is a reason I don't like online dating. It really creeps me out when someone sends me an email that says "Hey. How are you? You're beautiful!" Which Dan informs me there are worse things that people could write to me. But it creeps me out.

This guy had been super persistent about talking me. And it creeped me out, his persistence. However, I thought that I needed to give him a chance and we had been talking on email. Then he asked me to go out to dinner or lunch sometime. I made time for him on for Sunday Lunch. On Friday when I talked to him for the first time on the phone, he told me that he was telling his friend at the bar that I played Kickball and if I played Trench, he would have to ask for my ring size when we met. Yes, he said that to me. Out Loud. The person he had only been talking to on email for about 2 weeks and the person he hadn't met yet. But still I thought, I do need to meet this guy. Especially because I was getting a TON of pressure from H and my friends Sarah and JB.

And well, no sparks flew. We don't have anything in common. He listens to old school Christian music. I listen to Christian music but like Jeremy Camp and lots of other music. Not stuff like Big Band and Orchestra Christian music. He seems to really like his dog. Like his dog apparently eats popcorn out of the bowl with him. And he's 5'5". The height thing I knew going into it, but Dan being 5'8" said that he gets discriminated a lot because of his height and I needed to give the guy a chance. I would date Dan because besides having an awesome personality he's at eye level. But I think the guy was making up 5'5". I was wearing flats and seemed to look over his head. I'm 5'7". And I need to be with a guy that really enjoys playing sports. I don't think he played sports. He does watch sports though. And he was telling me how his roommate just didn't seem to understand that the bathroom needs to be cleaned like twice a week. I don't even clean my bathroom twice a week. And Dan informed me as a guy it should be like twice a month at MOST.

As I was talking to my Dad yesterday and telling him this, he so ever kindly said "You're not desperate enough for online dating yet!" This coming from the man that keeps asking when am I going to find a guy, get married, and have kids. Then he added "You haven't tapped out your guy friends yet." And maybe he's right. I have a lot of guy friends. An over abundance of guy friends really. But the single ones are starting to dwindle. But maybe in a way my Dad is right. Maybe I'm not quite ready to settle down and get married and go online to find my husband or boyfriend for that matter. The two girls in my office went online and found two great guys. One is now engaged. So I know it works. I'm going to try it for another month. We'll see.

And I realize again, that I am not a looker, but my Mom and Dad say I'm a catch. ;)

2 comments:

Captain Crab said...

Your Mom* is right! You ARE a GREAT catch and I think you look pretty good, too.

*As for your Dad, well........better left unsaid!

Idea #527 said...

Thanks!!!

And about my Dad. . .you're probably right! haha!!