Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Do I hear Wedding Bells?!? Yes. . just not mine. . .

Last weekend I had yet another wedding. “Wedding, you say, A?? Isn’t this like your gazillion wedding this year?” To which I would have to reply, “Yes, but you’re exaggerating a little. It’s only my 1,002 wedding this year.” To which you laugh and then I say, “No silly, it’s only my 9th wedding and I only have 2 more left.”

Even though I had to drive home back to back weekends, I had to go. This one was my best guy friend from high school’s wedding. It was so weird to see him getting married too! It’s not like Buck* just married some girl he met a year ago. He married a girl that he first dated in 8th grade (she was in 7th) and then subsequently dated on and off in high school. He’s officially been dating her since the spring of our senior year in high school. And it’s weird because over the years, Buck and I have discussed whether or not they would be getting married. And when he and I got some alone time last St. Patty’s Day when I visited, he said that it was weird to be engaged now. But it finally clicked that she was the one that he couldn’t live without. I remember looking at him and then pushing him and giving him a hug! It’s not like him to be so sappy!

It’s always strange to see people from high school (or from back home for that matter) that you haven’t seen in awhile or haven’t seen since the last major holiday. I hadn’t seen some of my friends from high school since Thanksgiving because I wasn’t around at Christmas. And well, as I’ve mentioned in this blog before, I’m 40 lbs lighter since last November and I’ve lost 30+ inches since then. So, from the last time they all saw me, I look pretty darn good! It’s really a great feeling too! I’m hoping though when they see me again in a couple of months, I will have lost more weight and gone down a couple of sizes. We’ll see. And I think I should figure out how to label these things and then I can keep track of how often I mention my weight loss! haha! (The funny part--it's not like I'm a size 4 or something now either. I'm just back to where I was when I moved to this great state! haha!!)

Anyways, whenever I'm around my friends from high school, I always start to miss them. I think it's because we start to reminisce about the old times when we were basically still pure and the world was our oyster. We hadn't a care in the world except for getting through to graduate high school. And I remember how when we were getting ready to go off into the world and we all said that we'd keep in touch. I now maybe keep in touch with like 10-15 people I used to hang out with all the time. I keep in touch with the ones I want to keep in touch with. And I guess there are some people from high school that I wish I hadn't grown apart from, but I guess such is life. There again are numerous funny moments in the night such as Luke telling his mom about our Wild Turkey night the summer after our first year of college. Luke had this wonderful idea to go shot for shot and chase them down with the Malibu Rum and OJ that we were drinking. Then both of us being extremely drunk and him waking up at home not remembering where he was at. Thanks for telling your mom that one Luke! My mom was home that night and I remember puking in the morning and my mom saying how she was glad I learned a valuable lesson. Where was she when Luke suggested the Wild Turkey?!? Huh?!? Or how we were telling one of our other friend's moms how sometimes our senior year we would drink at my parents house and would only try the vodka and rum because we knew we could fill that back up with water and my parents wouldn't know. And then she made the comment how my dad always used to tell her how I didn't drink, never been kissed, and boys were a back burner to my studying. Then we remembered the 4th of July when she played Thumper with us! Oooh memories. . .

And then things got sort of philosophical at the end. One part of the talk made me ponder a number of things the entire 5 hour drive home. One of my guy friends said, "No matter what you do in life, in this town we grew up in you were the golden child. Every parent loved you. Every parent knew that if their kid was hanging out with you, then their kid was safe. Yeah, we may have done some things that were inappropriate, but they were pretty tame. I always got in trouble when I wasn't hanging out with you. But you know what?!? So you didn't become a doctor. Your heart has always been huge. You've always been a caring individual. I know that I miss you a ton. It doesn't matter what you become in life. It's what life becomes in you. Don't let the material things in life define who you are as a person. You're still that great, caring, lovable person you've always been. And you make people want to stand up and become better people themselves." And then I think he kept talking about other things which I cannot remember but it just made me ponder if I'm really the person he thinks I am?? I would like to say that yes I am. But I think he also left out the part that I'm a big wuss when it comes to things involving me. And then I thought about how this was also coming from the same guy who tried to kiss me on the lips and I had to do the head turn thing when I first saw him at the reception. He also yelled at me at the reception for not coming up and saying hi sooner and I had to remind him that he was a little busy being. . . I don't know. . . THE BEST MAN. So. . . it's really anyone's guess if his thought process is 100% accurate.

The other funny thing I noticed is that even after someone moves far away and you only see each other once or twice a year at the most, your over protective guy friends will always be your over protective guy friends. I had completely forgotten to get a hotel room for that weekend. The thought didn't even cross my mind because for Wyatt's all my friends were offering for me to stay with them in town. Well this weekend, no one lived in the town of the wedding, and my two girlfriends and their boyfriends were staying with their parents. So, either I would take this opportunity to not drink at the wedding, or I would call the one person I knew who lived in town and stay with him and his wife. I should state that this one person would also be the former love of my life. After the reception was finished, the party moved to the hotel bar and I called my friend to tell him that I was calling a cab and on my way. Well, I called a cab to no avail and at 12:30 he called me back and said that he would just come get me. So when he gets there, what do the 4 guy friends of mine and my friend Steph's dad do?? Introduce themselves and play a good 20 questions in under 5 minutes with him! I remember saying specifically, I'm staying with my friend and his wife. Yet, there they went being all over protective! It definitely made my former crack up! And in general, it was just nice to be able to hang out with them awhile.

I think that's it for my wedding adventures for now. I have another wedding in two weeks and then am in one the weekend of Thanksgiving. I think then I'm done for the year! I really don't think I have that many friends left who aren't married!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.