Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Good Times, Even Better Memories. . .

My best guy friend* Wyatt got married this past weekend. I can't describe the joy I felt in this moment. I was utterly so happy. I love his wife Kendra. (In a strictly platonic way, of course!) I will admit, when they first got together, I wasn't exactly thrilled. I had only met Kendra a handful of times and at the time, she was dating a guy I worked and hung out with who wasn't known for his good choice in ladies. I automatically assumed Kendra fit into this type of woman, so when Wyatt said that he was going on a date with her, my first thought was that he could do so much better. He is, after all, my best guy friend.
And I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that I was jealous that I was no longer #1 in Wyatt's life. But you see, Wyatt and I would not classify as Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney in My Best Friend's Wedding. We would have literally killed one another had we dated. And many people over the years have asked why Wyatt and I never got together, and I guess the simple fact remains, had we gotten together, we wouldn't have been friends. He's the one guy friend I call when I have guy problems because he tells it like it is. And he often tells me just how wonderful and attractive I am which also helps. I don't necessarily believe him when he tells me I'm hot, but it's the thought that counts. And Wyatt and I do get along like a couple. We finish each other's sentences, read each other's minds, and think alike. We also always have to be right, which is hard in a relationship when one person, mainly myself, usually is.
The moment I got to know Kendra, I liked her. She wasn't the person that I thought she was at all. She is a very sweet and caring individual. Plus she didn't care that Wyatt and I talked (and still talk) all the time. She didn't care if Wyatt and I had Wyatt and A time. She wasn't a jealous girlfriend like his last one. Who liked me and who enjoyed hanging out with me one on one ,but did not like Wyatt hanging out with me by himself. Plus Kendra was fun to hang out with on her own. I think that's a true test of girlfriends for your guy friends. If they can (and will) hang out with the other girl in their life they are keepers. Anyways, their wedding day just made me happy.

Also the wedding day was a great time for me getting to hang out with my friends and Wyatt's friends who I used to hang out with all the time. And who I may or may not have randomly kissed at some point in time. Those are always good memories. And as we all sat around talking and catching up I realized, I have a lot of blackmail type things on Wyatt. For only knowing him for 7 years, I had a lot of things on him. We had become instant friends when we worked together. I was around for a lot of "Oops" times. And I was around for a lot of his friends' "oops" times. And sometimes, I was involved in the "oops" times.

My next post will have to be the funny things that happened on that day. But today, I'm just reflecting on the memories. . .


*I know I may say my best guy friend to describe an array of guy friends but I think I rank them in terms of a top 10 or top 5. This way it can be 'best guy friend from high school' or 'best guy friend from college' whatnot. Wyatt's in my top 10 friends, let alone in the top 5 of guy friends. And seeing as I met him at the end of my senior year of college, I can't really attach him to anything besides guy friend and that's all.

No comments: