Friday, June 3, 2011

With or Without You

That's the song playing on the radio right now.

And you give yourself away, and you give, and you give, and you give yourself away. . .

I think that almost describes me sometimes. Giving myself away. I was always told I was a giver (not that kind dirty, dirty, minded people) but a giver of things in life.

Giver of Hugs, giver of smiles, giver of my time and energy. . .

My parents taught me very strong values that when I look back, I didn't realize they were inadvertently teaching me that in my adult life and in my personality. My Dad can be slightly selfish (Sorry Dad, you know it's true) but at the same time, he's one of the most giving and caring people I know. If you are a good friend of one of his good friends or a family member, he would do anything for you. He'd drive to Ohio (2 States over) and pick up my Mom's best friend's Son whose car broke down on a road trip and tow it back. Even if you're a good friend of mine and need something and my Dad has never met you, he'd do that. That's just how he is.

Sometimes I wish he hadn't have taught me that, you know?? I really want to be that mean, cranky person who people don't expect stuff from. Just once I'd like to say "Nope, sorry" and be done with it. But alas, that's not who I am, and I'll never be that overly selfish person.

Man, that wasn't even the topic I was going to write about. . . .stupid, stupid song. . .

No comments: