Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Non-Date

Well now that I'm officially back on the market. . . and I guess technically I was on the market a month ago, but the a-hole just was dragging me along. Or I was on the "Hook." You'll only get this if you watch HIMYM.


Anyway, the last week, I've been having all these non-dates with my guy friends. I love it. It's like they found out that I wasn't even hanging out with this guy and they are all calling me to hang out now. We've been making dinner, going out to dinner, or just plain having some adult beverages.


Last night I went out with my friend Andy who I rarely get to see anymore. The main reason for this is because Andy was supposed to be getting married Sept 4th. And about 3 weeks ago, she called off the wedding. Andy was initially very upset but now he says, it's like this huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders. I guess his family is now just having a family reunion this weekend.

Anyway, the main reason that Andy sort of dropped off the face of the earth is because his girlfriend didn't drink and didn't want her boyfriend to drink. At all. Not even a little bit. Her family doesn't drink either. So Andy gave up drinking for over a year. He gave up hanging out with his friends too. Or they just quit hanging out with him. Not sure which.

Andy and I were talking and now his friends are coming out with reasons why they didn't like her. Which is funny because no one ever told HIM this. He said that while he knows it probably wasn't right, he's taking the good things from the relationship. I agree. And am proud of him.

However, I got to thinking. . .I can't really take anything good from my past relationships. Why?? I realize that I made THEM better people. I know this sounds sort of egotistical but it's true.

I was told by my sister that I give 150% in my relationships. And then I'm always sort of disappointed when people don't do the same. This is in ALL my relationships--with my family, with my friends, with my co-workers. She said that she always feels bad giving me 90%. She's always there for me, so really, that's all I need. Yeah, she probably calls me WAY more with issues than I do her, but when it counts she's there. And that's what I've noticed in the past year with my friends, when I needed them, they were there. The ones that counted anyway. I do notice this about myself too. And maybe I'll tone it down and give 100%. Because really, where has it gotten me?? No where.

Now I'm really looking forward to more Non-Dates with my guy friends. I had one Tues and then Wed with Andy, so who knows?? I lost my best guy friend last year. Maybe I should have try outs now for the open spot. I'm ready for a best guy friend again. Wyatt--you are still my BFF, you just live like 5 hours away, so it's not as convenient.

Maybe I'll make posters that say "BFF needed. Must be male. Needs to fix things for me and make me feel pretty. Also act as wing man when appropriate. In return, I will act as wing woman for you and cook and bake for you. And maybe introduce you to my single girlfriends if you're good. Also must give good hugs."

**I realized I first said "Off the Market" which would imply I was taken. . . but I meant to say I was single now.

No comments: