Thursday, September 9, 2010

Boundaries

I think sometimes that I don't have them. Or more often, I just forget social norms and step away from them. I'm not sure.

Like when my boss and I are out drinking when we travel together, I'm always worried that I'm going to overstep that boss boundary. And I know my employees do, but at my office, we're soo small that we have to be that close and intimate on a day to day basis that we are all up in each other's grill so to speak out of shear need to be.

I mean, you have your good friends where you can talk about sex with (no limits) and you don't have to worry about where the boundaries with that are. But there are some friends who you never bring up sex with at all no matter how much alcohol there is. Then you have your friends that you can be as gross about anything with--like how you popped this awesome zit on your face and it squirted on the mirror. But there are friends who would just puke hearing that statement. For those reading this blog that just puked. . . I'm sorry. Truly sorry.

My friend Andy and I don't have boundaries. He's that person, that I know I can be super grotesque with as well as tell him very personal things about me and he doesn't judge. EVER. And he tells me things that sometimes I wish he wouldn't but I don't judge either. Sometimes, his stories make me feel better about whatever it was that was bothering me. My friend Wyatt is the same way.

It's *spoiler* like when a girl passes gas. *Gasp. I know it's shocking that we do. But let's be honest. It happens. Some girls don't in front of people. I am that person. . . Except when it comes to my brother-in-law. My sister would go to the bathroom at the gas station to avoid doing that in front of him until they were engaged. . . 5 years after they started dating. He feels girls just don't do that. So, I actually purposefully make myself in front of him. Which now includes being that person in front of my nephew. He finds this hysterical and will do it in front of my face now. Not cool. Mr. J. Not Cool.

My Dad's Mom told him if he held it in, it was very bad for him, so my Dad does it whenever. In the mall, walking down the street, at the grocery store. . . luckily never at dinner. He used to say "Who stepped on the duck?!?" when I was little. He says it now for my nephew. And my nephew almost wets himself laughing so hard.

My friend Josie met her husband by passing gas while sitting on his leg in a cab. My friend Tim and Jamie see who can out do each other. It's just weird. But again this boils down to boundary issues. And I digress. . .

The reason I mostly bring this up is because when you read someone's blog every day, (or whenever they feel like updating their blog) if you didn't know them on a face to face level, somewhere you feel like you get to know them on a personal level. And you start to notice little things and you become more and more curious about their personal stuff. And obviously, there's a reason they don't put it in their blog, but still you become curious. So today, I think I overstepped my blogger boundary and emailed the person and asked if so and so was their boyfriend who they haven't talked about. And I feel bad. So like 3 hours later I wrote that she didn't have to tell me. . . I was just curious and super sleuthing.

Maybe I overstepped the blogger boundary. . . guess we'll see.

No comments: